What type of food can you forage from the Finnish nature? When is the best time of the year to forage wild mushrooms or berries? What type of fish can you get from rivers and lakes in Finland? On this page we have collected all of our posts related to food from the Finnish nature.
Finland, located in Northern Europe, is a country that is rich in natural resources, including an abundance of clean waters, forests, and wild game. Finnish cuisine places a strong emphasis on locally sourced, seasonal ingredients, and many traditional dishes are made using ingredients found in the country’s forests and lakes, such as berries, mushrooms, fish, and game meat.
Seasons play a significant role in the availability of food from the Finnish nature. In the summer, the forests and fields are bursting with an array of fresh berries, including lingonberries, cloudberries, and bilberries. In the autumn, the focus shifts to wild mushrooms such as chanterelles and porcinis, and game meats, such as deer and moose, which are hunted in the forests and served in hearty stews and roasts. The sea, lakes, and rivers also offer up an abundance of fish, such as salmon, trout, and perch.
Take a sweet journey through Finland’s forests and bogs with wild berries and herbs
- Blueberries are the superfood of Finland
- Food from the nature – yummy wild raspberries
- Cloudberries are the real gold of Lapland
- Cranberries are the world’s healthiest food
- Food from the nature – luscious lingonberries
- Overlooked crowberry is actually spectacular superfood from Lapland
- Foraging wild herbs in Finland
Explore the fungi-licious world of Finnish forests
- Foraging for the most common mushrooms in Finland
- How to identify edible boletes in Finland
- How to tell chanterelle and false chanterelle apart
- What is the difference between true morels and false morels?
- How to identify different milkcaps in Finland
- Colorful brittlegills are a fascinating family of mushrooms
- Cep or bitter bolete? How to tell the difference
- How to dress and what you need for foraging berries or mushrooms
Interested in fishing or hunting in the land of thousands of lakes
- Fishing from the bridge
- Ice-fishing in Finland
- Catching grayling in Lapland
- All you need to know about deer hunting in Finland
- All you need to know about moose hunting in Finland